And so the call went out….The Duchess is coming……The Duchess is coming…..
I thought it best if I take a back seat on this blog and so have taken the news straight from the horse’s mouth beginning with the report from the school website:
“The children and staff were delighted to welcome a royal visitor to the school on Friday 25th November. HRH The Duchess of Cornwall spent an hour here meeting the children and looking round the school.
Whilst at the school she opened the new All-Weather Sports Court and planted a rose from Highgrove in Antonia's garden.
The Duchess' own children, Tom and Laura, attended Heywood in the early 1980's and she enjoyed reminiscing with Mrs Hall about their time at the school. She particularly remembered the Mothers' Race on Sports Day as being very competitive.”
And now for the word in the playground:
By Abbey “The Duchess of Cornwall came to Heywood Prep School with some more visitors. She signed the brand new visitor book. It was very exciting. I played ‘Spotty Dogs’ with Libbie and the children from Reception were Emily, Ruby, William G., Charlotte, Livvie, Lola and Fergus. They were in our Year One room. Raul and Charley A. were in the Reception classroom. I said to the Duchess of Cornwall that we were doing Spotty Dogs and she asked what my name was and I said Abbey. She was nice with grey, yellow hair. She had crackly skin and she was wearing a long sleeved t-shirt that was purple with yellow flowers on it and her skirt was purple with yellow flowers on it as well.”
By Zachary “The Duchess of Cornwall came to our school because her children attended Heywood and she wanted to see how much the school had changed. She came with other visitors such as the Chairman of the Wiltshire Council and the Head of Corsham Police.
My teacher had been planning this visit for probably 6 weeks but kept it a secret. All of the teachers were fussing about whether we would get muddy in the playground and whether our hair and uniforms were tidy.
On the day I had to go to the Year Six classroom for about 50 minutes to wait for the Duchess to arrive. When she arrived she met Mr and Mrs Hall at the front door and went inside to sign the Visitors Book. When she was signing it all of the people in the Year Six classroom went in order to the Hall quietly. I was on the rugby stand and I brought in my rugby medal from last season and had to wear my school rugby kit. When she came into the Hall there was complete silence. Then she came over to the art stand to talk to the art people and then went through all the stands and came to mine. She shook my hand and asked me what team I played for. I replied, ‘Corsham Rugby Your Highness’. After seeing the stands Freddie and Jade (from my class) performed some drama for the Duchess. She said she enjoyed it. Freddie says she said it was brilliant.
The Duchess then went into Antonia’s Garden and unveiled the plaque, which said she planted the Highgrove rosebush on this day. She then walked over to the new Astroturf to watch the hockey match. Afterwards in the hall, my teacher said when he talked with her she said she thoroughly enjoyed herself.”
And that’s all I have to say on the subject!!


Soo exciting. Thanking for taking the time children to fill us in on such an important occasion. Very sadly these things don't happen in Australia too often but I do hear that our wonderful Prime Minister visits schools sometimes which more than makes up for it. Maybe she will visit your school when you come back here.
ReplyDeleteGrandad was very impressed and I am sure he wishes he could have been there as well. He is at cricket with the boys at the moment. You are very lucky children.
ReplyDeletelove Grannie xxx