After an action packed two
days it was nice to have a slow start to our ‘rest day’ today. Our family, however, don’t know the
meaning of the word ‘rest’ so by 1000 we were off on yet another
adventure. Today we would be
travelling into France to the spectacular valley of Porté-Puymorens to take part in a
little zip wiring. As the rest of
our group had the same idea, we had to be taken in three cars with Nick and his
wife, Neuria, and the hotel cook, Laura, all driving. Abbey, Kerry and I travelled with Laura who was only just
learning English so was happy just to listen to our conversation. Abbey, assisted by Laura’s neck pillow
(which happened to also vibrate), was out like a light before we had even left
Soldeau.
Arriving
at Porté-Puymorens
The entire course was set
out in numerical order and colour coded, increasing in difficulty as you
progressed. We began with the
green “Découverte” runs (numbers one and two) designed just to get the feel of
things. They were no scarier than
your average playground flying fox and everyone flew through without a thought
–all except Andy who would not admit any fear but felt zip wiring ‘wasn’t his
thing’. Hats off though to Paul who
is afraid of heights but was determined to give it a go.
Trying our hands at Runs One and Two:
It was then straight onto the next level (blue runs) of three and four entitled “Sensation” where Abbey and Harriet joined forces and were unstoppable.
Without blinking the kids
moved on to the more challenging Red runs “Frisson” (which translates as Shiver). The next four runs, numbers six through eight, crisscrossed
the dam and canyon and it really was a case of scaling new heights! At this point Sarah dropped out but
amazingly Paul kept on coming (though may have had his eyes closed at time and
a rather tight grip on the rope!)
The
Dynamic Duo fly through the air with the greatest of ease!
Zac
awaits his turn with Adrian looking on then performs his own aerial acrobatics
Not
to be outdone!
There was simply no stopping
the kids who, on completing all the red runs, moved straight on to the black
“Emotion” runs numbered nine through twelve. Once again we crisscrossed the dam and canyon but this time
at great heights and with greater drops – and tons more fun! The majority of the platforms were
suspended high in the tree branches.
At one point, the platform was accessed by climbing up a long cargo net,
which was not an easy task whilst still having your carbineer attached to the
safety line. Amusingly, the only
person who had to be ‘rescued’ by Adrian was single mum Kerry who, on reaching
the platform over the lake, failed to grab the safety line and slid back along
the wire. Adrian nimbly hooked on
his own carabineer and in no time was using his rather pleasant biceps to drag
her back to safety. Needless to
say, she did not live this one down!!
Abbey
impatient for her turn then the kids show off their skills
I don’t
think the girls ever considered that they should be afraid!
There were smiles all round!
Whilst
Nathan was on camera duty, I did snap him in action on one of the runs
Scared…who
me?
At
some points we had to scale the cliffs to reach the next run
The final few black runs
were like scenes from a James Bond movie as we literally flew above the water. At one point Abbey and Harriet got
their feet wet, as did Zac. What I
failed to get on camera was Nathan gliding towards the dam wall trailing his
hand in the water behind him – very cool indeed!
Abbey
and Harriet, fearless to the end
Zac
and I follow suit
Nathan
manages to capture the girls as they flew across the dam
Making
a splash crossing the dam wall
What
you can’t hear is Zac screaming with joy!!
Ok,
that’s me showing off flying over backwards
Abbey
waits her final turn from the tree top platform, whilst Zac flies forth one
final time
Well, we had all
successfully completed all the runs and there were smiles aplenty all
round. There was just one final
challenge awaiting us and, to complete this, you had to be at least 12 years
old. Adrian relented with Zac,
given he is the same height as me, so Zac, Michael and I led the way towards
the final hurdle, the “Extréme Super Saut”. The rest
of the group followed to act as spectators and to throw in the odd supportive
comment.
The “Super Saut” required
you to make your way out into the centre of the canyon (some 30 meters high)
via suspended cables. At some
points you had to unclip and refasten the carabineers until, finally, you were
standing on the central, tiny, platform.
It was then a case of leaning out (and it was a long way out) to grab
hold of the swing to which you then had to clip on your carabineers. Once secure it was simply a matter of
jumping. After somewhat of a free
fall you then swung widely within the canyon being sprayed by the waterfall
cascading over the dam wall. Once
the swinging ceased you then had to grab a safety line and haul yourself to the
lower platform and attempt to disengage your carabineers before scrambling up
the cliff to safety – sound fun?
As the only adult taking
part it was left to me to lead the way.
The only tricky bit prior to my jump was the actual pulling in of the
swing, which took all my strength.
I had to lean out with one arm whilst hanging onto the safety cable with
the other and really haul the thing in.
It was then a case of taking a deep breath and letting go of the rail,
having complete faith in the harness and carabineers that were still attached
to the safety rail, as I needed both hands to transfer my carabineers to the
swing.
Once secure I could see that
Adrian was not pleased with something but he was too far away, and too French,
for me to understand what he was saying.
Eventually I worked out that he was afraid I was leaning too far back so
I simply straightened, took one more deep breath and jumped. What followed was the most exhilarating
free fall then I was flying through the air towards the waterfall. I could feel the spray in my face as I
swooped through a small rainbow before swinging out and starting all over
again. It was an incredible
feeling and was over way too soon.
If getting onto the swing
was hard, getting off was harder.
Once again I had to use all my strength to pull myself onto the platform
then found I was a tad too short to unhook my carabineers. I literally had to climb a near by tree
to gain enough height to complete the task. That done, the cliff was the easy part and I emerged back at
the top triumphant.
Getting
out to the middle was the easy bit
Once
hooked up, it was simply a matter of jumping!
Given how difficult I had
found it to man handle various stages of the jump, Zac and Charlie, who had
also been keen to have a go, sensibly opted out. Michael wanted to give it a go but only made it as far as
the central platform before he found he just didn’t have the reach to capture
the swing. There was only one
thing for it; I would just have to have another go!! Nathan captured most of my second jump on video and, I will
admit, it looked a bit scarier from the top!! I happily accepted the coolest mum accolade from the kids
that day.
Coolest
Mum in the World!!





















































Coolest Mum?????
ReplyDelete